This page contains affiliate links. Please refer to the "Legal Stuff" page for more.
For this course we will be using the following classic American novels and short stories. You can purchase them in digital, paperback, hardcover, and audio formats. They are also available at many local libraries.
Feel free to use as many of the book clubs as you would like to give your student a full-year of high school literature. You may find that there are more book clubs than your student needs for the year. Use these at your discretion.
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
- Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
- The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London
We will also be using the following resources in our writing projects:
- Breakfast on Mars and 37 Other Delectable Essays edited by Rebecca Stern & Brad Wolfe
- Been There, Done That: Writing Stories from Real Life edited by Mike Winchell
- Bookmarked: Teen Essays on Life and Literature from Tolkien to Twilight by Ann Camacho
You will also need a notebook or binder for your notes, vocabulary, and writing.