If this is your first book club....
We realize there is a lot of information provided. Do not let this overwhelm you. Feel free to skip any rabbit trails or magic dust projects that do not fit into your schedule or do not appeal to you.
We have provided you with enough information for several weeks' worth of study. However, this course is designed to be self-led. Please make it work for you -- whether that be over several weeks or several days.
About What Is Included
- Read, Write, Learn - reading assignments, copywork, literary elements
- Vocabulary, Spelling, and Grammar - vocabulary, including learning apps and quizzes in Quizlet, spelling games, copywork & dictation, and grammar discussion
- Questions to Ponder - thought questions to teach critical thinking and freewriting
- Writing Project - a month-long writing assignment
- Show What You Know - a wrap up of all the student has learned for that week
- Rabbit Trails - In every online book club, we will go on rabbit trails of discovery. We will hop off the traditional roads of literature and meander down paths about pop culture, history, biographies, poetry, music, and more. We will take deep dives into some of the subjects touched on in the book and broaden our minds with new adventures.
- Magic Dust - We will also bring literature to life by sprinkling a bit of magic dust along the way. These hands-on projects will take us into the book. We will touch, see, feel and learn on our new adventures.
- Party School - The pinnacle of the Family Online Book Club experience is the Party School! At the end of each literature study, we will celebrate the book with a party. Invite friends or family over for food and fun! All the ideas for food, decorations, and activities are included.
About How To Use This Course
The first way is a self-paced literary study. As the students progress through reading the book, they will progress through the lessons. Activities are included at the end of each reading assignment. At the end of the book, your family can celebrate with the "party school."
The second way to use this course is with a book club. I lead several book clubs that meet once a month. If you would like to learn about setting up a book club with other students, refer to this article. If you meet weekly, you can use the weekly lessons throughout your meetings. If you meet only once per month, at the conclusion of the book, you can use several of the activities listed as one large book club.
About Copywork and Dictation
Copywork and Dictation are great ways to build spelling and grammar skills. For more information on these techniques, read the following article.
If you are a Charlotte Mason homeschooler, then chances are the words copywork and dictation have come up repeatedly in homeschool discussions. The late Charlotte Mason, an educator who inspired an entire homeschool philosophy, advocated copywork and dictation as two of the key components to educating children in language arts.
In this course, we use Freewriting to jumpstart the critical thinking process and get words flowing. Our goal with the writing projects is to help your student find their writing voice. Freewriting is an excellent tool you can learn more about in the article below.
'How did you get him to write? He never writes for me at home.' This and a few other questions and comments similar to it were directed at me at our last enrichment classes. At first, I demurred because that's what we Southerners do. Then I realized they were serious.
About The Credit
This course is the equivalent of a month of high school literature course study. We recommend allocating a month of British Literature credit. You can combine this with our other world literature courses for a full year of British Classic literature credit.
About The Certificate
Once the student has completed the course, they will receive a certificate. You may print this out for your records.
About Videos and Links
If a link is broken, please email me at [email protected] and I will correct it or find a suitable replacement as soon as possible.
If the video shows an ad, please understand that we do not control this. This is a product of using YouTube. If you feel the ads are inappropriate, you can turn on Restricted Mode.
© 2016-2021 Hide The Chocolate's Literary Adventures for Kids