This page contains affiliate links. Please refer to the "Legal Stuff" page for more.
For this course, we will be using the following novels. You can purchase them in digital, paperback, hardcover, and audio formats. They are also available at many local libraries.
Feel free to use as many of the book clubs as you would like to give your student a full year of high school literature. You may find that there are more book clubs than your student needs for the year. Use these at your discretion.
- I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai with Christina Lamb
- The Boys In The Boat by Daniel James Brown
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Refugee by Alan Gratz
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky translated by Constance Garnett
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer
- Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie
- A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley
- Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
We will also be using the following resources in our writing projects:
- The Norton Sampler: Seventh Edition edited by Thomas Cooley
And, the following book will be used for the grammar exercises:
- Barron's E-Z Grammar by Dan Mulvey.
You will also need a notebook or binder for your notes, vocabulary, and writing.