Questions to Ponder
Estimated time: 45 minutes
Think about and discuss these questions from your reading:
- Explore the importance of magic to the culture of Malawi. Why was it important? Could this be considered part of the setting of the story?
- William, his friends, and cousins have few toys or resources to buy supplies. How do they entertain themselves?
- How did William use his resourcefulness to create a small business for himself?
- What things did William learn from his father?
- William's family finds themselves with very little food to carry them for the next year. Why? Could this have been prevented?
After pondering and discussing these questions with your teacher, choose one to complete a freewrite. If you are unfamiliar with freewriting, here are a few tips:
- Keep your pencil moving. Don't stop. Just brain dump onto your paper.
- Have a set amount of time. Set a timer and write for the full amount of time.
- Ignore all grammar and spelling. Don't let editing slow down the process. These are not important in this instance.
- Pen and paper aren't the only ways to freewrite. Feel free to type on the computer. Not only does this accomplish the task, but it builds typing skills.
- Share your freewrite with us in the comments below.