Go Outside on an Adventure: To Find Some Trees
Go outside on a clear day and look for trees in your neighborhood or a park.
- What types of trees do you see?
- Are the trees deciduous or evergreen?
- What are the shapes of the leaves on or around the tree?
- Collect as many leaves and seeds from the trees as you can.
- Get out your sketchbook or some paper. Sketch the trees or make bark rubbings from the tree.
- Tape or glue your leaves and seeds in your sketchbook with your drawings.
- Go back home and look up the type of trees you saw today and write them in your journal next to your sketches. The guide below can help you determine the type of tree.
What Tree Is That? is a tree identification guide from the Arbor Day Foundation, featuring an easy-to-use, step-by-step process to identify nearly any tree in North America.