Questions to Ponder
Estimated Time: 45 minutes
Questions to Ponder:
- Social hierarchy is an important part of this novel. Describe Highbury's social hierarchy.
- Describe Mr. Woodhouse. Do you think he is really in poor health, or just too pampered and babied?
- Why is Emma so determined to help Harriet Smith? Does Harriet need help? What is Emma's motivation?
After you have pondered and discussed these questions with your teacher, choose one to complete a freewrite. If you are unfamiliar with freewriting, here are a few tips:
- Keep your pencil moving. Don’t stop. Just brain dump onto your paper.
- Have a set amount of time. Set a timer and write for the full amount of time.
- Ignore all grammar and spelling. Don’t let editing slow down the process. The goal is to get thoughts on paper. Spelling and grammar are not important in this instance.
- Pen and paper aren’t the only ways to freewrite. Feel free to type on the computer. Not only does this accomplish the task, but it builds typing skills.
Share your freewrite in the comments below.