Read, Write, Learn
Estimated Time: 3 hours
- Chapters The Hearth and the Salamander (the first half) (Note: If you are using the 60th anniversary edition you will read to the break on page 37. If you are using any other edition you will stop after you read the sentence, "People ran out of houses all down the street.")
- As you are reading, write down any sentences or paragraphs that you like or have special meaning to you in your journal. Choose at least one passage from each chapter.
- Pay attention to any words or phrases that you don't understand and write them in your journal. Look up the meanings of these words.
- Read about the 6 possible types of conflict found in literature. As you are reading this week, notate in your journals which types of conflict you find.
- Simile and metaphor. Read the definition and difference in the article below and take the quiz to make sure you understand. Start a list in your notebook for each one and try to collect at least 5 of each from the reading this week.