Reading, Vocabulary and Grammar for this Lesson
- Prologue: The Girl from Spirit Island
- Chapter 1: The Birchbark House
- As you are reading, write down any sentences or paragraphs that you like or have special meaning to you in your journal.
- Pay attention to any words or phrases that you don't understand and write them in your journal. Look up the meanings of these words.
Spelling and Grammar:
You may choose a passage from the reading that you think is important and use it as your copywork, or you can use the selection below.
She was named Omakayas, or Little Frog, because her first step was a hop. She grew into a nimble young girl of seven winters, a thoughtful girl with shining brown eyes and a wide grin, only missing her two top front teeth.
- Write it in neatly your journal.
- Be careful to punctuate and capitalize the way the author did and watch for spelling. If you make any errors, correct them.
- Study this passage this week until you are asked to dictate it to your teacher.
- This month, our grammar will be about pronouns. Watch the video below about pronouns and then find all the pronouns in the passage you just copied.
Share your favorite passage so far in the comments below.