Questions to Ponder
Estimated Time: 45 minutes
Think about and discuss these questions from your reading with your teacher.
- Pick two of the main characters to compare and contrast.
- In chapter 1, Ponyboy describes Soda as "drunk on just plain living." What do you think this means?
- Darry had to give up going to college to take care of his brothers. Would you have done that?
- Would Soda and Pony be better off in foster care? Why or why not?
- Pony writes, "I lie to myself all the time. But I never believe me." What do you think he means?
- Think about Johnny's situation. What would you do if you were him?
- In Chapter 3, Cherry makes some interesting points about the differences between the Greasers and the Socs. What do you think?
After pondering and discussing these questions with your teacher, choose one to complete a freewrite. If you are unfamiliar with freewriting, here are a few tips:
- Keep your pencil moving. Don't stop. Just brain dump onto your paper.
- Have a set amount of time. Set a timer and write for the full amount of time.
- Ignore all grammar and spelling. Don't let editing slow down the process. These are not important in this instance.
- Pen and paper aren't the only ways to freewrite. Feel free to type on the computer. Not only does this accomplish the task, but it builds typing skills.
- Share your freewrite with us in the comments below.